U.S.  Immigration Counsel

Employment-Based Immigration And Work Visas

Shankar Ninan brings a wealth of experience to businesses and individuals trying to navigate the complex immigration system. Join the hundreds of companies and professionals who trust Shankar Ninan with their immigration needs. Click on the sections below to learn more about specific immigration topics.

Priority date retention allows a beneficiary with an approved I-140 to keep a priority date from a previously approved I-140 and use it for future green card filings.

Upon receiving an RFE, a petitioner has a limited time to respond. The deadline for response will be indicated in the RFE and is typically between 30 and 90 days. Once an RFE is issued, all work on a case is halted—so a prompt response is important. Failure to respond by the given deadline will likely result in denial.
We work closely with Human Resources professionals to take the worry and hassle out of complying with the ever-changing and confusing array of immigration regulations and procedures.

In complementing the employment-based (permanent) immigration process, employers face a number of nonimmigrant (temporary) visas that companies and workers look to, including H-1B, L-1, O-1, TN, B-1, and E-2 visas.

The process, technique, and expertise of working with embassies and consulates abroad demands both experience and global reach.

The H-1B Visa (or H-1B Status, for those in the U.S.) permits U.S. employers to temporarily employ certain qualifying workers in specialty occupations.

Employees of an international company that are transferred into the U.S. temporarily to work for the company’s parent, branch, affiliate or subsidiary enter the U.S. on an L-1 Intra-company Transferee visa.
The O-1 visa is the primary immigration visa used by Foreign Artists to bring their talents to U.S. audiences.
The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships between Canada, Mexico and the United States. Within the provisions of NAFTA, a nonimmigrant professional work classification was carved out, allowing citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States under the TN visa.
B-1 Visas are for individuals wanting to visit the U.S. for business purposes. This includes: attending conventions, conferences or seminars, consulting with business associates, litigating and negotiating contracts and engaging in commercial transactions, among others.
For many students, the process of applying and being accepted into a U.S. academic institution is the lengthiest part. The visa process is a series of steps that take place after you accept an enrollment offer.

Family-Based Immigration & Waivers

Bringing family members together can be difficult when they are living outside the United States. The Shankar Ninan family brings a personal approach to family immigration. Explore the links below to learn about the different immigration visas for family members and consider using us for your family immigration needs.
U.S. immigration law provides that certain family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents can be petitioned for immigration benefits. Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), family-based immigrants have been split into the immediate relative category and several preference categories.
The K-1 Visa is for individuals wanting to come to the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen.
Immigration law provides that the conditional green card holder must prove that the marriage is bona fide. Therefore, within 90 days prior to the expiration of the conditional card, the couple must jointly submit documents and paperwork to immigration authorities to prove that the marriage is legitimate.
An individual may be refused entry to the United States due to a finding of “inadmissibility”. Under immigration law, an individual can be found inadmissible on the basis of numerous grounds–including criminal, drug-related, security, medical and immigration violation grounds.
Generally, if you reside outside of the U.S. or are illegally in the U.S., you will apply for lawful permanent residence at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
Anyone in the U.S. that is not a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident should keep their status legal because they are otherwise subject to removal.

Investors & Entrepreneurs

Generally, U.S. Immigration Law Provides for two mechanisms by which individuals can come to the U.S. based on a capital investment: a 2-year, renewable E-2 Visa and the permanent resident (“Green Card”) EB-5 Investor Immigrant Visa.

The E-2 Visa is for individuals wanting to come to the U.S. to start a business into which they have invested a substantial amount of capital.
This Green Card category applies to business investors who invest $1 million or $500,000 (if the investment is made in a targeted employment area) in a new commercial enterprise that employs at least 10 full-time U.S. workers.

Our Awards

What Our Clients Say

We value our clients’ feedback. We use those reviews to continually improve the legal services we provide. We want every client to walk away from us feeling validated and secure.
We've moved!

Please note our new address

505 8th Avenue, Suite 1801
New York, New York 10018